Sunday, August 14, 2011

to thank or not to thank...

this note came across a jobs/careers listserv i'm on (yes, listservs are still active in 2011):
Dear (list moderator),

Please don't advise people to send those silly thank you letters after interviews. I hire three or four people a year and I see those things as a pure negative. I'd rather hire someone who didn't send me a thank you letter than someone who did. The letter to me signifies "hire me because I'm polite" instead of focusing on the job requirements. It's my choice whom to hire. Don't try to influence me. That's my two cents.

(letter writer)
i strongly disagree with the letter writer.

let's be honest: a job interview is all about influence. the potential employee is doing their best to convince the interviewer that s/he is the best fit for the position and for the company. in some cases, the interviewer is trying to "sell" the potential employee on the reasons why s/he should join their organization.

i still send handwritten thank-you notes after in-person job interviews. one organization that i'd interviewed with decided not to hire for the position, but my contact there made it a point to thank me for my thank-you note when she told me the news. do i think a thank-you note can make or break my chances of getting to the next round? not necessarily, but i do think that those notes help keep me in the interviewer's mind as they're trying to make their decisions on who to hire.

personally, i'd rather hire someone who sent a thank-you note than someone who didn't. it shows me that this person is interested enough in the job and was appreciative enough of my time to thank me for it. if they're like me, they include something we discussed in the interview in their note, which shows that they were paying attention. and, yeah, they're polite.

thoughts?

3 comments:

  1. when i interviewed people at the job fair, my supervisor was interested in the thank you notes from all the people i was recommending to move on to the next round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think thank you notes are polite. I wouldn't want to work for someone who didn't agree. I've sent thank you notes for every job I've gotten.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine anyone receiving a thank you note and saying, "I would have hired this person, but they had the nerve to send me a thank you note!"

    ReplyDelete